Most Recent Images

Who's Online

Last Forum Posts

Poll Widget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Knights Who Say Ni Forum Index -> Post Raid Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Shortngeeky
Shortngeeky
In-Game Guild Master
The Helpful

re: March 23

Halfus

We got Halfus down, but it was really hit or "Miss" this week. One thing I was most concerned about was the amount of Shadow Nova's hitting raid and interrupting healers. I know my tanks... I know there's generally not alot of issues mechanically with Ni tanks. You guys know what needs to be interrupted and you get it done... Wednesday interrupts weren't going through however and as I suspected it wasn't that you guys weren't trying. There was ALOT of Missing going on. Now, I know the current theorycrafting is "you don't need hit rating" but sadly the reality is until they make interrupts unmissable (new word, w00t w00t) this is what we are going to face. What can we do to counter this? Maybe bring +hit food to boss fights needing interrupts? Give me ideas.

We also had alot of damage from Fireball Barrage. I know we take some before we release Time Drake, this is expected. Knowing that my healers don't want to heal through unnecessary dmg therefore they would be moving FASTest out of Barrage, I checked log to see the healers only took 8-11% dmg from it. DPS however needs to keep an extra eye out. We were taking 20-40%. With DPS watching extra close & avoiding Fireball Barrage, we can avoid the 23-28k hits & make our healers extra happy and full of Mana.

Healers get this fights Golden Shrub Award. With raid taking alot of Shadow Nova damage/interrupt & Fireball Barrage damage (both theoretically "avoidable" pppffftt) you guys kept usgoing and got some yummy purples! Nice Job!

Magmaw

We struggled alot here this week... I take most of the blame here as I failed to remember we had changed strats some since 40% of raid had been there. Yeah bad leader, I know I know. =P Somethings to remember are:

ALWAYS step to Magmaw before Pillar (even if ya have to stop dps for a sec, ie Hunter Class)

If head is falling where you are (fire-dust on floor) RUN out of area. You will take major dmg & be silenced, don't just stand there... ever...

After burn phase on head, move away before "Point of Vulnerability" runs out & head breaks free then RUUNN back to dps area before pillar

I know there's alot going on during this fight to watch out for! Keep on tweeking mechanics & we'll be one shotting him in no time!

All & all, great raid night! Gear was all needed & Ni are styling in Epics now!

The Helpful

First I want to say this forum section is a fantastic idea.

For the interrupt thing, I think it will work better if both tanks try to interrupt every single cast instead of switching off, assuming both tanks have an interrupt on a 10sec cooldown (not for sure about pallies). This way if one misses there will still be a backup for each cast.

The drake combo we had last time was the most difficult for the Halfus tanks because they had to watch their debuff, watch the other tank's debuff, watch for fireballs, and watch for interrupts all at the same time. The other combo's should be less of a problem on that front.

Another thing we tanks could do is hang on to a +hit trinket to switch in for interrupt-heavy fights, although this comes at the price of taking more damage or having less health.
Shortngeeky
Shortngeeky
In-Game Guild Master
The Helpful

Yeah the missing interrupts is supposed to be removed. I actually thought it was already but I guess it's a 4.1 thing. I was thinking along those lines, maybe a hit trinket, food, pot. Something temporary to get us through till patch. Both tanks definitely need to be hitting the button. I think Pally is 10sec also so *crosses fingers* so both should be off CD?

And thank you, I thought this might be the best way to communicate. The time we were discussing Magmaw on vent the day after raid pointing out what had went bad & what we needed to try changing worked really well. It gave us time to get a battleplan without wasting Raid time. Hopefully this can do the same.

The Helpful

yep, pally (and prolly all tanks now) have a 10 sec cd int. like the discussion method , this will save time and generate new ideas.

and agree, having both tanks try each time gives us a better shot of nailing it.

Only reason I didn't do it all the time was to ''stick to the plan'' and the times it did went through (the shadow nova)that wasn't a ''miss'' either on Badear or my turn was because of bad timing between the switching on threat , hitting cooldown, the raid warning and probably lag.

I think Warriors need hit for their interrupts not sure but Paladins don't need it , most of our threat generating abilities come from spell power hit which is cap early on and our interrupt apperantly doesn't miss. Unless I haven't noticed it it hasn't miss for me and from reading on different paladins forums a lot of people have tested it and say that it appears it doesn't miss either.Just to give an example one of the best raid tank paladins on the world which make tankadins guys has like 1.0% hit rating in total and even less Expertise.

But I agreed both tanks should just go for the interrupt regardless.

Shortngeeky
Shortngeeky
In-Game Guild Master
The Helpful

Yeah that's what all tanking classes are saying currently & next patch it will be true as interrupts will no longer be able to miss. But check out our log

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/bcai7dw1batqvtmb/log/

I'm hoping it takes you straight to misses on Halfus but if not to Log Browser-->Add Query--> Check Misses, Target Halfus Wyrmbreaker -->Save --> Run

I was surprised to see that many there really were. I'll be glad when patch 4.1 comes out!

The Helpful

re: late to the conversation...

great forum idea!

little late, but I'd like to add one other thing: some brainstorming is in order for other ways to kite (or burn, whatever) those stinking worm things on magmaw. Pimp does a great job, but at the moment we're totally dependent on that exact method (DK kiter) and player. all praise to the mighty Deathpimp, but ideally everyone in the raid should be replaceable to ensure that the whole thing works out each week.

also, I agree with Griff on the interrupts - switching makes it too complicated. both tanks should just hit their interrupt every time and, for that matter, once the raid is on halfus, all dps should hit their interrupt as well (assuming we aren't up against the enrage timer too badly). it was dropping with alarming frequency even after DPS was on halfus. I'm happy to accept some of the blame for that. that being said, though I thought Badear said his interrupt is on a 12 second cooldown? maybe I'm misremembering.

lastly - grats on downing ODS! I had friends in town or I would have been waiting in line for one of those raid spots!

yrs-
Ejunk!
CrazyJedi
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

I don't see it anywhere short the only things I saw doing miss were white dmg and censure which is acceptable for a paladin since we don't have to hit the boss 100% with white dmg all our threat comes from spell based hits and usually we can afford missing 1 spell like avengers shield in order to gain more survavility unless the raid are too trigger happy and unload on the boss from the start or don't used their threat lowering abilities AND even so we have 2 taunt which don't miss and 1 of them puts a dot on the target that will force him to attack you while the dot lasts.

I admit though that I did miss some interrupts either thinking of relying on the other tank (his turn) or bad timing using another ability at the same time I was supposed to hit him with interrupt . But I know it wasn't because of not having hit%.Warriors need it I know and I think druids but not so much Paladins at least on raid bosses.Also I opted for trying to just interrupt all of them if I could on the last 2 attempts.But yeah I should had just done it from the start.

On heroics they do though.

Griffygriff
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

Yeah, I'm not seeing any misses for interrupt abilities in the log. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but all I'm seeing is misses for direct damage abilities, which isn't anything to worry about for a tank.

Also, the Shadow Novas that were going off in the last phase were the ones he casts right after the raid-wide stun, which are impossible to interrupt.
Beeastt
In-Game Rank 8
The Helpful

[quote="Griffygriff"] but all I'm seeing is misses for direct damage abilities, which isn't anything to worry about for a tank.

well except for threat issues which will become more glaring as dps gets geared thru the xpac. as a tank, hit was one of my main threat boosts after hitting the exp soft cap

Yeah for sure. It's something we have to balance, but right now blizzard has made it where theat isn't much of an issue, but survivability is a huge problem. As the dps get's higher, tanks will have to start looking at threat stats more.

Of course for bears, Agility is our best stat for both survivabilty AND threat, so it works out for now.
CrazyJedi
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

[quote="Beeastt"]
Griffygriff wrote:
but all I'm seeing is misses for direct damage abilities, which isn't anything to worry about for a tank.

well except for threat issues which will become more glaring as dps gets geared thru the xpac. as a tank, hit was one of my main threat boosts after hitting the exp soft cap

True but we are talking on this boss Happy. Preferably as a tank you should have 2 tanks sets on this expansion 1 for threat (high hit / exp soft cap ) and 1 for survivality.

It really depends on the encounter usually on raids you will have a rogue or hunter helping you with threat so the main tank can focus more on mitigation and avoidance which helps on progression. Aoe encounters requires hit for threat (like heroics) . Again I don't know much about warriors or druid tanking though , just talking from a pally perspective which must of our threat comes from spell hit% and not pure hit% also with the glyph on our seal which raises expertise you usualy are soft cap early on that department , I think it was 26 with glyph in total.

Shortngeeky
Shortngeeky
In-Game Guild Master
The Helpful

Men! & they wonder why there's no Ni Raid Leaders with Man Parts ;) No seriously, these are the interrupt spells aren't they? I need to make sure I'm not looking at wrong stuff =/ Kinda new to this sites parses. Also doesn't "Block", "Parry", "Dodge" equal a failed interrupt too?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[19:55:37.392] Crazyknight Rebuke Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[19:55:51.632] Crazyknight casts Rebuke on Halfus Wyrmbreaker
[19:55:51.632] Crazyknight Rebuke Halfus Wyrmbreaker Block
[19:56:30.182] Crazyknight Rebuke Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[19:57:34.016] Crazyknight Avenger's Shield Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[20:06:45.325] Crazyknight Rebuke Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[20:11:01.255] Crazyknight Avenger's Shield Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[20:11:16.803] Crazyknight Rebuke Halfus Wyrmbreaker Block

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[19:37:58.482] Griffter Skull Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[19:42:25.980] Griffter Skull Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[20:00:26.615] Griffter Skull Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[19:55:00.691] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[19:56:42.565] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Parry
[19:57:34.444] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Block
[20:06:46.652] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss
[20:06:59.348] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Dodge
[20:09:32.234] Badear Shield Bash Halfus Wyrmbreaker Miss

The Helpful

*ahem* I want a sammich , anyone wants one? Short if you please? The men need to talk now.Ty. :P joking joking *cowers*

From what I saw on my screen and the ones I did push rebuke to interrupt shadow nova , they landed and stopped the shadow nova . I have no idea if blocking and parrying is the same as missing for interrupt abilities since I think even if the monster ''blocks it'' the spell is stilled interrupted?

The misses can be because of being slow and doing it late or even lag thus missing since there is nothing to interrupt.

We don't go down without a fight Short :P.

Griffygriff
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

I blame the camels. Stupid camels.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Knights Who Say Ni Forum Index -> Post Raid Analysis All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: