Who's Online

Last Forum Posts

Poll Widget

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tifone
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

re: Want to blow things up?

Hello, I am Toomey your friendly mage CO. For those of you that are new I have been playing my priest Stynus a lot lately but I still hop on Toomey and currently have him ready for raiding. I know, I know, you will say but you are an arcane mage why not fire…I know the spec but I really enjoy arcane and I feel the 3% raid damage buff offsets my lower dps but I am starting to wonder about it…which brings me to the real topic – Do you want to raid? Many people when they hit 85 say now what? Well raiding is the next (and IMO the better) part of the game. So here is what you need to know.
To begin raiding you do need to work & earn your spot. If you have no prior raiding experience THAT'S FINE. This guild is very good at getting new raiders in & helping them grow. These are the things you will be responsible for:

- Sign up here so we can check your gear, spec, dps, ect. Tell me in your post what spec you are planning on running.

- Must have know how to thoroughly play your spec in PvE. (yes, slows, polys & interrupts too!)

- Must have mostly heroic 5 man gear (iLevel 346) or above with the appropriate (but not necessarily the most expensive) enchants and gems. Working on gear takes time, DO NOT go AH crazy and shop for 346 pieces just for the number, get gear appropriate for your spec. This means reputation gear, Justice point gear, and Heroic drops. Head and exalted shoulder enchants are a must!

- Must be able to reliably attend 2 raid nights a week. Right now those nights are Wednesday and Saturday from 7:15pm-10pm server time (Central US). Real-life comes first BUT Ni still needs to know. Remember, it may be a game but in raids we are a team... people are counting on you!

- Must have a good idea of how the current boss fight works from watching videos or reading strategies. Don't go in blind and expect to wing it, you're a liability to the raid at that point. Videos of the strategies we use are posted in Raid forums and also on youtube. We generally use Yogscast & Tankspot guides.

- Must be signed up for the raid on the in-game calendar. This doesn't guarantee you a spot, but it let's the raid leader know if we will have enough people to raid that night. Be online ON TIME!!!!!!

- In raids we need to max our performance. Bring appropriate food, pots, reagents to optimize your spec. We do have the Seafood Magnifique and guild cauldron but if we run out or you're the 8th ni using a cauldrom (they serve 7) you'll need your own backup supply.

Remember, it's not expected that you already meet all of these requirements at this time! We can help you get there! Ask to join in on the 5 man runs and let us know early. If you noticed there was no requirement on dps here. That is because once you show interest I will either que with you to run a 5 man or work with you at a practice dummy to see what your rotation looks like and the dps you are putting out. Now post me your spec twisted
Lonnie64
In-Game Rank 2
The Casual

Yes I can understand the appeal of a 3% raid damage increase, but we're talking about a whopping 450 DPS increase for every 15k which brings it to just under a 3k increase total on a boss for 6 DPS in a 10 man. I'd have to say in a 25 man situation this will be more substantial but for ten mans I'd say fire is the way to go. You also have to figure if you've got a BM hunter then the buffs won't stack. I personally enjoy fire not because of the ridiculous DPS but it's extremely fun. I can pretty much maintain 13-16k DPS on a fight unbuffed (if my procs are nice to me) while being 75-100% mobile. That's the best part (aside from the DPS), is that you can have extremely high numbers and not have to stand in any one place for more than one or two seconds not only from hot streak procs but the DOTS are impressive as well. One time I proced so many times that all I was doing was instant pyroblasts and living bombs while running around like a mad man and I got something like 18k. I'd say for a 10 man that fire is the best option if everyone can generally hold their own weight with the DPS, but for 25 man, definitely have an arcane mage for the 3% and at least to focus magic the fire mage and/or a BM hunter if an arcane mage isn't available.
Kyle Johnson

re: !!!!

envy LETS BLOW STUFFS UP! envy
Tifone
In-Game Rank 2
The Helpful

Kyle, thanks for posting. I believe your toon is tehkush? I gear checked him the other day and gave you some feed back in game but I am not sure if you got it.

I would start by looking at yourself in www.askmrrobot.com. If you set the bottom stats to preraid gear and ignore the expensive stuff it should help you get the gems/enchants you need after pushing the optimize button.

Ideally, you should have the best helm enchant (arcanum of hyjal - requires guardians of hyjal revered) and shoulder enchant (greater inscription of the loadstone - therazane exhalted). I would buy the hyjal tabbard and wear it while running dungeons if you are not revered with them yet and do the dailies in therazane after that. The other enchants you can probably get about half out of the guild bank and the other half should be under 300 G total off the AH. If you have mats from running dungeons guild enchanters (short, aislyn & jasynn) will do them for free.

Gear - The two largest places for you to upgrade right away are your offhand and your wand. The easiest way to upgrade your wand is to get on a 2's arena team and win enough to buy the wand (I believe it is about 900 conquest which means 3-4 wins). This will give you a nice upgrade for pve with only about an hour or two spent getting it. The offhand is also an easy upgrade - Dungeoneering Guide - is a crafted piece from a inscriptionist. I know pimp can make it (he made mine). He will need somewhere between 5-10 stacks of cata herbs to make it. It depends on what herbs you get him (high lvl ones vs low lvl ones) and somewhat on luck.

Finally on to your gems. INT is your top stat followed closely by HIT until capped. Generally speaking you will always choose INT over HIT for enchants and reforges. For gems in your blue slots it should be vieled demonseyes(purple so it counts) which gives you hit and int. Red slots should always be straight int. yellow slots I like the reckless ember topaz (int and haste) but you could also forgo the socket bonus in most cases and put red gems (int) in there.

For your trinkets I would make those the first valor piece I bought and also the first tol barrad piece I bought. Both are high up on the list (not quite top) for preraid pieces and will be nice upgrades for you. Again you will need to grind rep in tol barrad and that means doing dailies everyday.

Finally on the gear front you have three pieces of pvp gear equipped. The boots are fine till you get the ones from the rep grind, but the pants and shoulders should be replaced as soon as possible. The shoulders I would use my justice points as a quick upgrade there and for the pants there is a nice crafted set - breeches of mended nightmares - aislyn can make them for you but the mats can be a little pricy so if you have the justice points/see a drop in a dung don't be scared to take that in the mean time.

Continue to work on your rep (I would probably work on Ramkahen after the enchants b/c good boots are hard to come by outside of raids). Make sure you are doing your dailies in ulduum, uldaar, and tol barad every day and try and run a heroic each day. I would probably prioritize the dailies over the dungeon right now since those are an eventual guarenteed upgrade for you while the dungeons comes down to luck.

Let me know if you have any questions and just so you know the websites I use to put this together are:
www.tankspot.com
www.elitestjerks.com
www.wow-heroes.com
www.askmrrobot.com
www.wowhead.com

Lonnie please feel free to chime in if you think I missed anything or you have a different approach to upgrading.

-Toomey/Stynus
Amarite
In-Game Lowest Rank

re: raiding

I would like to raid on Msmage. IL 356. I've downed 3 in the throne, bwd: magmaw, omnitron and maloriak and bot: halfus, the drakes and the council. I'm not hardcore--just like to raid and try to do my best.
Aedria R
In-Game Lowest Rank

re: raids

I am very interested in raiding. I kno im new to theis guild but i have been playing for a long time. I transfered most of my toons here from Lothar since it was hard to find a group i felt comfortable with. I was in another guild on this server that the ppl really didnt have any respect for others and the ones that seemed to think obscene language made them mature were ruining the game for me. I kno how to play most specs but prefer arcane Mage in groups. my horde mage is a lvl 500 Arcane now. I play currently on 2 servers even tho i have toons on 3 now. I havent played the pvp server in a long time since i am really quite burnt on it. i currently have all professions and will max them all. I am on most of all day every day and sometimes i go farming for mats at night. Being retired i have a lot of time.
Shortngeeky
Shortngeeky
In-Game Guild Master
The Helpful

I'm for it, my team needs a good mage.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: